Friday, February 10, 2012

Sequins? In the day time?

Have you ever looked at that one sequined or sparkly piece in your closet and thought to yourself, "I wish I could wear that more..." and sighed to yourself?

I think Express might know how you feel. And I do too, but sequins as a day time look? Tread carefully... there's a reason such things are considered night time looks. Consider this, a sequin skirt paired with a dressy top and heels for a night out. The sequins catch a bit of ambient light and give a little sparkle, pretty. Now imagine the same look in the day time. The sun is shining and your sequin skirt sparkles constantly. To me, that seems a bit gaudy.

Take a look at this ad by Express:


Often times, magazine ads show looks that you wouldn't actually wear down to every detail but provide an inspiration for pieces offered by a certain retailer. This idea of wearing that sequin with a day look is not exactly considered a good call.

Express is usually a forefront for US fashion, but I am very disappointed in this. In my opinion, sequins and sparkles should be used sparingly in the daytime. A full on sequin piece looks foolish when worn for a day out anywhere.

While I love the idea of transitioning a day look to a night look, and vice versa, I believe some pieces should only come out in the dark. Like sequin skirts. ^_^

What do you think? Have you ever worn something like this out during the day? Did it work for you? Comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment